Offshore drilling contractor Transocean has secured a rig contract from Wintershall Dea and OMV for the drilling of 17 wells offshore Norway.
The company will use the Transocean Norge harsh-environment semi-submersible rig to drill 17 wells, six of which will be for OMV and 11 will be for Wintershall Dea.
The two companies also signed an exclusive partnership with Transocean to use the Transocean Norge rig for the drilling of all firm and additional potential wells from 2023 to 2027.
Wintershall Dea Norge managing director Michael Zechner said: “Securing the ‘Transocean Norge’ with Transocean means we have a modern and fit for purpose rig with a best-in class emission footprint, and a drilling partner to support our continued growth on the Norwegian Continental Shelf.”
OMV Norge general manager Knut Mauseth said: “This long-term contract is an important milestone in the execution of the Berling development project. In addition, we have secured a rig to one of our upcoming exploration wells.”
For Wintershall Dea, the scope of the contract includes the drilling of four exploration wells, four development wells for the Maria Revitalisation project, and three development wells at Dvalin North in the North Sea.
The contract scope for OMV includes drilling three development wells for the Berling project and two exploration wells.
Through a joint venture with Hayfin Capital Management, Transocean holds a stake of 33% in the Transocean Norge rig. The remaining 67% stake is held by affiliates of Hayfin.